Blogademia
Friday, January 28, 2005
 
That's a Lot of Code

I'm so proud of myself. I'm sure there are tools out there that you
can use, but I decided to write my own code to get what I needed from the
BNC. Not only that, but since I knew the code would be big, I wrote it with good programming form...I tested it as i went along and built it modularly.

Coming from a programming background you would think that would be second nature, but no. But this time I did it, and it saved me a lot of debugging time at the end. Every time there was an error, there was only so much it could possibly be, and they where all easily fixed. It took a couple days in total, and last night I ran it and examined the results.

Quite disappointing. A few things didn't print, so I made sure they were ok and ran again. Still results weren't impressive. I mean, there was kind of the pattern I was looking for, things were very roughly in the right place, but not everything was as I had expected, and with such poor strength. It was disheartening.

Then I spotted an anomoly. Where the should have been 5, 7 and 3 files, the results were saying there were 5, 12 and 15 files. The counter wasn't resetting. That could be it I thought. Turned out, none of the important counters were reseting. I had a little play, and on a small set, results improved significantly. Thank goodness. The programme is running for what will hopefully be the final time. Here's hoping it's everything it's meant to be.



Nedstat Basic - Free web site statistics

Powered by Blogger